Corpus Christi school opened in September 1926 with 91 students. The Corpus Christi Sisters were not a teaching order but opened the school and taught until the summer of 1928.
Corpus Christi's first school setting was as expected very traditional. The children dressed in everyday clothing, the curriculum of religion, reading, writing, arithmetic were taught to the 91 students in a disciplined environment. Children attended Mass each day, said prayers at the beginning and end of the school day and help with chores, such as building fires for heating purposes and cleaning the school rooms.
Although attendance had living quarters at the school and church grounds, the children were extremely helpful in the continually cleaning process, that was a hallmark of many Catholic schools.
In August 1928, The Sisters of Providence from St. Mary-of-the-Woods, Indiana were brought in to staff Corpus Christi School. The Sisters of Corpus Christi House were recalled and disbanded because they have been unable to obtain Papal approval of their community. In 1928 there were six sisters with 104 pupils. A few months after their arrival the Corpus Christi PTA was organized.
The next problem facing Corpus Christi Church was the fact that there was no possibility of furniture development at the first location. An entire block at 15th and Stonewall was available to the Parish for a new school and church.
On March 1, 1937 the new two-story school building was begun. There were 12 classrooms, a large kitchen and an auditorium that seated 450. On August 7, 1937 Corpus Christi School was officially moved to 15th and Stonewall. Across the street a residence and six lots were purchased for a rectory. There was no covent as yet so the sisters occupied a portion of the new school building.
Money for the new building was nearly all raised with the sale of the old school, the sisters home and the rectory to Associate Catholic Charities, some royalties and through a financial campaign conducted in the month of December 1936.
For eight years the school auditorium was used as a church. In the new school there were 185 pupils in the eight grades with six sisters of Providence as teachers. The dedication of the new school took place on October 17, 1937.
In 1943 Corpus Christi school received its accreditation. Educational accreditation is a type of quality assurance process under which services and operations of educational institutions or programs are evaluated by an external body to determine if applicable standards are met. If standards are met, accredited status is granted by the appropriate agency. In 1945 a 9th grade was added to the school but it only survived one year.
In 1962 the Bishop mandated the integration of Corpus Christi school. In 1964 Corpus Christi school and St. Peter school combine. In 1968 Corpus Christi school began its kindergarten program.
In July 1988 Corpus Christi School hired its first black principal, a long time member of the Parish, Freddie Forshee Cudjoe, Ph.D.
405-236-4301 † Fax: 405-235-2122
1616 North Kelley Avenue, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73117 † Mailing Address: 1005 NE 15th Street, Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73117
©2018 Corpus Christi Church OK